protecting your data
Juno’s Circle is committed to providing quality services to you and this policy outlines our ongoing obligations to you in respect of how we manage your Personal Information.
We have adopted the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (the Privacy Act). The NPPs govern the way in which we collect, use, disclose, store, secure and dispose of your Personal Information.
A copy of the Australian Privacy Principles may be obtained from the website of The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at www.aoic.gov.au
What is Personal Information and why do we collect it?
As part of the provision of service to you, including but not limited to assessment, treatment, report writing, training and consulting, Juno’s Circle needs to collect and record personal information from you. Personal Information is information or an opinion that identifies an individual. Examples of Personal Information we collect include: names, addresses, email addresses, phone and facsimile numbers, medical and family history and any other relevant information as deemed appropriate. The collection of this information is a necessary part of your participation in assessment and treatment services, training or consulting offered through Juno’s Circle. Your informed consent must be given prior to commencement of services.
This Personal Information is obtained in many ways including correspondence, by telephone and facsimile, by email, via our website www.junoscircle.com.au, from your website, from media and publications, from other publicly available sources, from cookies and from third parties. We do not guarantee website links or policy of authorised third parties.
We collect your Personal Information for the primary purpose of providing our services to you, providing information to our clients and marketing. We may also use your Personal Information for secondary purposes closely related to the primary purpose, in circumstances where you would reasonably expect such use or disclosure. You may unsubscribe from our mailing/marketing lists at any time by contacting us in writing.
When we collect Personal Information we will, where appropriate and where possible, explain to you why we are collecting the information and how we plan to use it.
Sensitive information is defined in the Privacy Act to include information or opinion about such things as an individual’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, membership of a political association, religious or philosophical beliefs, membership of a trade union or other professional body, criminal record or health information.
Sensitive information will be used by us only:
- For the primary purpose for which it was obtained
- For a secondary purpose that is directly related to the primary purpose
- With your consent; or where required or authorised by law.
Where reasonable and practicable to do so, we will collect your Personal Information only from you. However, in some circumstances we may be provided with information by third parties. In such a case we will take reasonable steps to ensure that you are made aware of the information provided to us by the third party.
Disclosure of Personal Information
Your Personal Information may be disclosed in a number of circumstances including the following:
- Third parties where you consent to the use or disclosure; and
- Where required or authorised by law
Examples include but are not limited to the following:
- Clinical case notes or reports being subpoenaed by a court
- Failure to disclose the information would, in the reasonable belief of Juno’s Circle, place you or another person at serious risk to life, health or safety, such as:
- Notifying child protection services of possible harm to children
- Reporting child sexual abuse crimes to police if the victim is under the age of 16
- Alerting emergency services if there are concerns you pose a risk to your own safety
- Your prior approval has been obtained to 1) provide a written report to another professional or agency; 2) discuss the material with another person; or 3) disclose the information in another way.
- You would reasonably expect your personal information to be disclosed to another professional or agency (e.g., your GP) and disclosure of your personal information to that third part is for a purpose which is directly related to the primary purpose for which your personal information was collected.
If you do not wish for your personal information to be collected in a way anticipated by this consent form, Juno’s Circle may not be in a position to provide you with a counselling service.
Security of Personal Information
Your Personal Information is stored in a manner that reasonably protects it from misuse and loss and from unauthorized access, modification or disclosure.
When your Personal Information is no longer needed for the purpose for which it was obtained, we will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify your Personal Information. However, most of the Personal Information is or will be stored in client files which will be kept by us for a minimum of 7 years.
Access to your Personal Information
You may access the Personal Information we hold about you and to update and/or correct it, subject to certain exceptions. If you wish to access your Personal Information, please contact us in writing.
Juno’s Circle will not charge any fee for your access request, but may charge an administrative fee for providing a copy of your Personal Information.
In order to protect your Personal Information we may require identification from you before releasing the requested information.
Maintaining the Quality of your Personal Information
It is an important to us that your Personal Information is up to date. We will take reasonable steps to make sure that your Personal Information is accurate, complete and up-to-date. If you find that the information we have is not up to date or is inaccurate, please advise us as soon as practicable so we can update our records and ensure we can continue to provide quality services to you.
This Policy may change from time to time and is available on our website.
Laurenza Buglisi, Managing Director